Friday, October 16, 2009

Now What?

Whenever I see amazing photographs I feel inspired. But when I actually trot out into the world with my camera and look around, well, the light sort of fades. Even when I do see something that looks neat, looking at it on my camera screen just doesnt' capture it. Suddenly the challenge of taking the regular world as I see it and drawing out beautiful or interesting pictures is somewhat daunting. In class we've gone over how to photograph, so I looked up an article "How to take Compelling Photographs" that might give me a nudge on what to photograph.

1. Change perspective. Go close, or far away, from high or above, not just eye level from where you are standing.
2. Balance. Think of the picture as a painting, and you want everything in placed in a way to catch attention and be pleasing to the eye, not just randomly shot.
3.Try for contrast. It will be noticed faster.
4. Look at light and color. This I thought was interesting, is not to go looking for subjects but for 'beautiful formations of light and color'. To completely change the way you think of the world before you go looking for a shot so you will notice more and better situations to shoot, which involve the lighting and color often more than just the object.
5. Take pictures with your mind. Train yourself to see without the camera so you really notice what is going on. You will learn to see more of tiny details this way.
6. Tell a story with your picture. Before you take your shot ask what kind of story it tells.
7. Nature is always the best. Whenever you are stuck, surround yourself with nature and animals for inspiration.
8. Use Digital. It allows you to do more with your picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment